|DIRECTOR||MRS. H.N. ADAM|
|DEPUTY DIRECTOR||MR MOSHOOD A. RASAQ|
|SECRETARY||MR. ABDULQADIR O. YAHAYA|
As far back as 1975/76 session, a Centre for Continuing Education had existed in the Polytechnic. Its activities however became moribund following the excision of the then School of Education (now College of Education, Ilorin), and the subsequent exit of the then Director of the Centre.In December, 1984, a proposal was made to the Governing Council that Part-Time courses be mounted by the Polytechnic. After considering the proposal, it was approved by the council that it should start as the Part-Time courses Unit, (but was expected to eventually become a full Center for Continuing Education when its activities have expanded enough).JUSTIFICATIONThe Part – Time Course Unit has, as can be observed expanded tremendously in its scope of activities since its inception in 1985 in the following ways:
- The student population has increased from less than 50 in 1985/86 session to almost 7000 in the current session (2013/2014) excluding the over 30,000 students that have graduated from the Center.
- The number of programmes being run has also increased from just a few to 22 during the current session. These include National and Higher Diploma programmes. More programmes are also in the pipeline against the next academic session.
- The Centre, can be regarded as polytechnic supermarket in the area of revenue generation and the amount being realized for the Polytechnic is increasing day in day out.
- Through its relentless efforts, the Centre has contributed immensely to the projection of the good image of the polytechnic. This is because it receives communication and enquiries from all parts of the country.
OBJECTIVES AND GOALSThe objectives and goals of the Centre as approved by the Governing Council of this Institution are as follows:
- Running of Part-Time courses, which is already ongoing as demanded by the public.
- To structure and organize short-time courses for Industries, Ministries, Parastatals and the general public.
- To organize extral-mural classes and summer school programmes.
- To organize writer’s workshop for Lecturers of Part –Time programmes.
- Publishing of lecture materials arising from the writers workshop for use by Part – Time Lecturers and students.
- Extension of Services of the Polytechnic to areas outside and inside the state capital.
MANAGEMENT BOARD FOR CENTRE FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION
- The Rector – Chairman
- The Deputy Rector – Member
- The Registrar – Member
- The Bursar – Member
- The representative from each Institute.
- One Representative from the Directorate of Students Service.
- One representative from Kwara State Ministry of Education.
- One representative of KWACCIMA Kwara Chamber of commerce Industries, Mines and Agriculture.
- Centre Secretary – Secretary
TERMS OF REFERENCE
- Advice Council on issues relating to the development of the Centre in terms of courses, staffing, service and general policies.
- Consider and recommend to the Polytechnic Estimates Committee, the Centre’s annual estimate and advise on general allocation funds available to the Centre.
- Formulate policies and regulations for the Centre especially in financial matters and recommend to the appropriate authority for approval.
- Ensure that monthly financial returns are submitted by the Centre to the Bursary.
- Promote all activities designed to ensure the general efficiency and effectiveness of the centre.
The Centre has three Units:
- The Directorate
- The Bursary Unit
- The Registry Unit
The Directorate coordinates the activities of the Centre in the area of Student’s registration, lectures, examinations, collation of examination results, students’ school fees and coordinate activities in general. Under the Directorate, we have the Director, the Deputy Director and Coordinators in the various Institutes and departments.The Bursary Unit is headed by a Finance Officer supported by many accounting staff under him/her, who helps in collecting school fees documents from students, scrutinizing payment document submitted by Institutes coordinator and generally facilitating the official financial transactions of the Centre with the Management and their bankers. They also provide accurate statistics of the number of students that pay school fees. Records of finances of the Centre are kept by the Bursary Unit.The Registry unit is the heart of the Center. It is the first unit students make contact with on entering the Centre. Staff of the unit coordinates online applications, admission matters, registration, issuance of matriculation numbers, students’ identity cards, students exit forms, and all other administrative duties concerning staff and students. The registry provides accurate figure of the number of registered students in an academic session. The unit is headed by the Centre Secretary.These Categories of staff in the Registry and Bursary Unit are usually deployed to the Centre from the Registry and Bursary.LIST OF COURSES MOUNTED AT THE CENTRE FOR CONTINUING EDUCATION INSTITUTE OF FINANCE MANAGEMENT STUDIES
- Public Administration
- Banking & Finance
- Purchasing & Supply
- Business Administration
- Business Studies
INSTITUTE OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
- Office Technology Management
- Mass Communication
- Computer Science
INSTITUTE OF ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
- Building Technology
- Architectural Technology
- Quantity Survey
- Estate Management
- Urban and Regional Planning
INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
- Agricultural Engineering Technology
- Electrical/Electronic Technology
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Metallurgical Engineering Technology
INSTITUTE OF APPLIED SCIENCES
- Hospitality Management
- Science Laboratory Technology
ACHIEVEMENTSAchievements of the Centre since inception
- Turned out more than 40,000 graduates from various fields of Endeavour.
- Introduction of Village meeting between students and the Centre. An avenue for cross fertilization of ideas.
- Improve career status of workers in Ministries and Parastatals.
- Prompt release of students’ results as soon as it is approved by the Academic Board of the Polytechnic.
- Enhance the Polytechnic’s Internal Revenue Generation (IGR).
- Training and Retraining of staff of the Centre and the Polytechnic.
Prompt payment of Honorarium for staff involve in Part-Time programme.